Why would I need to do this?
All of our reporting happens automatically. This means that you can't just send us a list of orders to be sent to SoundScan. You have to import the orders into Shopify.
Two Types of Order Imports
- Orders of physical records sold either in person or through another service can be imported into your Shopify store to be reported by Single.
- Other order lists can be imported to bulk deliver digital albums. In order to retroactively deliver digital music, you need to export orders from the service (with SKU field matching your digital product), then import them as orders into Shopify. We recommend you export / import fans' full addresses. While this information isn't sent automatically to Nielsen it is important to be able to show that your sales were in fact from the US, as Billboard represents US sales only.
Some real world examples of bulk delivering digital music...
- After a successful Kickstarter campaign, you’ll need a way to fulfill digital albums you’ve sold
- Attach your digital album to tickets for your upcoming tour
Finding the Right App
Importing orders isn’t a feature built into Single; the instructions below leverage the use of a third-party app, which does incur its own costs. While we chose one specific app for this example, there are many order import apps available in the Shopify app store.
We can’t guarantee that all imports will be successful, however when formatted correctly we’ve achieved a 100% success rate in our import tests.
Nielsen Rules for Ticket Bundles
In order for bundles that include physical or digital music and tickets to be reported, you must first fill out this application and be approved before the sales take place. As long as you follow Nielsen’s rules - these sales count towards the official Billboard charts.
Step by step instructions:
Tip: Before you import your entire list, test the process by importing a .csv that has only one order with your email. Once you successfully deliver an album to yourself, you can then import your order list.
1. Assign your album (digital or physical) a SKU in Shopify
Shopify Admin -> Products -> Select the product -> Scroll down to variants.
2. Turn off order notifications in the Shopify admin
If you don't, you will receive an email notification for every imported order and your inbox will explode.
Shopify Admin -> Settings -> Notifications -> Scroll down to "Staff order notifications" -> under "Recipients" hit "Disable."
3. Export customer data from the source as an excel file
Just make sure your exported data includes: Name, Email, Full Address, Total Paid and Quantity Purchased. Follow these links for specific instructions about exporting from Kickstarter, Eventbrite, and Ticketfly.
4. Edit the exported report in Excel or Google Sheets by adding a column for SKU
Enter the SKU from step 1.
Warning: Column headers are case-sensitive. Please make sure that the names of columns are identical in steps 4 & 7
5. Export the data from Excel or Sheets as a .csv
6. In your Shopify admin, install the EZ Importer App
7. Create a new "custom data mapping"
First check boxes of order number, line items.price, line items.quantity, line items.sku, customer Zip Code, customer email, shipping_address.address1, shipping_address.city, shipping_address.zip, shipping_address.country. Next, edit the header name for each data mapping field you selected. You can change them to Name, Email, Total Paid, Quantity, SKU Shipping Address1, Shipping City, Shipping Zip, Shipping Country, Shipping Name. Check box for and “Link product by SKU”. Download a sample data mapping here.
Note: In order for sales to count towards the respective territory's chart, imported orders need to include zip codes & Shipping Country. However when importing orders into Shopify, you must import full addresses. We recommend making up a value for the Shipping Address1, Shipping City, and Shipping Name if that is not available.
8. White Label your delivery email inside the Single Dashboard (Optional - available to Bronze Tier subscribers and above)
9. In EZ Import, go to Imports and select “Import Orders”
Choose the data mapping that you just created and drag your .csv file.
10. Orders will instantly be uploaded to Shopify
Digital albums immediately delivered
Physical album sales scheduled to be reported the next day.
Note: Importing orders tied to a digital release in Single will deliver the album to every customer on your imported list. As Single’s digital delivery is usage based, this means you will be charged 15 cents / track delivered. The “usage” will be everyone, all at once, so you will be charged accordingly!
If you are seeing this message:
... It just means that the SKU of your imported list isn't matching an SKU in your Shopify inventory. This is most commonly because there is a "0" in front of the SKU within Shopify.
In your Shopify admin > Products > Click on the product your imported list is tied to > scroll down to "Variants"