There are situations where you may want to start a pre-sale before your tracks have been mixed, mastered or otherwise completed.
In fact, if you are creating a DIY crowdfunding campaign, this will certainly be the case. There are a couple of ways to do this, depending on if you're offering pre-release tracks or if your album will be released all at once.
If your entire album is released at once...
1. Create products or bundle(s) within Shopify. Make sure the products are clearly labeled "pre-sale" - both in the name of the product and description. You can put these products for sale in your shop immediately.
2. Once you have the finished tracks, create your digital release in Single. During the attachment process, be sure that "Deliver to Existing Orders" is toggled on. Once you hit "Create Attachments," we'll pick up all past purchases of the Shopify products and associate them with the digital album.
If you are offering an instant grat track / pre-release tracks...
1. Create your digital release in Single. Some of the fields will be required - fill them in as best you can.
2. Upload the pre-release tracks and specify a date for each track.
3. Next, you need to add a "Placeholder Track" for each of the tracks that will be on the album. This ensures that everyone receives the full album on the release date and that you are billed for the correct album rate.
To upload "placeholder tracks", simply click "+ Placeholder track." You can replace the audio at any time.
Note: ISRCs are not required for Placeholder tracks.
Warning: If you set up an album with placeholder tracks and the audio is not replaced by the release date, the album release date will automatically be pushed back 24 hours so that fans do not receive incorrect files.
4. Publish the album to your store and start making sales.
5. When you're ready to change the audio to your masters, click "Replace Audio" next to the track or within the track edit window.
6. Select "Confirm Changes" and now your fans will receive the correct audio on the release date!