How sales get reported to Luminate Data (formerly MRC/SoundScan) and Billboard
- Digital Releases powered by Single are automatically reported. We do not have the ability to report digital sales from other providers.
- Physical Release requires tagging physical records in your inventory.
Note: Digital & Physical sales are reported automatically at 10am EST for the prior day and subject to certain criteria by Billboard & Nielsen.
Example sales week. © Nielsen
- The release date is the 10th in the example above.
- Physical Releases shipped between Tuesday (the 7th) and the following Monday (the 13th) will be counted in the new chart week. This represents the Friday-Thursday sales week (10th - 16th), but makes an allowance for shipping time/receipt by customers.
- Digital sales report daily starting on Street Date through the following Thursday. The digital cutoff is Thursday @ 12AM EST.
- Physical and Digital pre-order sales are queued to report on Street Date.
Note: You can start fulfilling orders for a physical release the Tuesday before its release date in order to have them count towards week-one chart sales. The cutoff to report physical sales is 12AM ET on Mondays. If you are using a third party fulfillment system or application, Single is not responsible for any fulfillment delays or rate limits subjected by the third party.
Brief overview of inclusion rules:
- Unit sales for albums priced below $3.49 at any point will not be eligible for inclusion on the Billboard album charts and will not count towards sales data presented by Luminate Data (formerly MRC/SoundScan).
- Albums and EP's with 8 or less tracks are not eligible if the total price is less than the sum of the tracks, multiplied by $0.39.
- Unit sales for digital tracks priced below $0.39 at any point will not be eligible for inclusion on Billboard’s charts and will not count towards sales data presented by Luminate Data.
- For digital-only deluxe editions, any extra content of 10 or more tracks would be considered the equivalent of an extra disc. Each additional 10 tracks thereafter would be the equivalent of an additional disc.
- Minimum pricing for a multi-disc physical album (not a single disc with extra tracks), where the extra disc is audio content, will be $3.49 times the amount of discs being made available.
- Physical Releases are reported upon fulfillment - not date of purchase. Simply mark the order as “fulfilled” in Shopify and our system will automatically report the sale the following day.
- Bundles containing physical and digital releases must report the physical copy.
- Multiple Copies (Digital) - Only 1 purchase of any UPC or ISRC will be counted per customer. If a customer buys more than 1 unit of any particular UPC or ISRC, the sale will be adjusted down to 1 unit.❗️Please note, this limitation does NOT reset after a certain period of time.❗️
- Multiple Copies (Physical) - If a fan purchases up to 4 copies of a record, each copy is reported as an official sale. If a fan purchases 5 to 9 copies, this results in 4 charting album sales. Purchases of 10 or more albums constitutes a bulk sale, and none count towards the Billboard charts. ❗️Please note, only 4 physical copies of a UPC may be reported PER CUSTOMER. Multiple orders by the same customer that add up to more than 4 copies purchased will not result in more than 4 copies reporting.❗️
- If the artist or artist representative purchases their own release, such sales will not be chart eligible.
- If a title was priced under the minimum during a portion of the day, all sales for that title on that day will not count towards the Billboard charts unless accurate transaction data for that title during the specific sales hours can be provided to Luminate Data for verification.
- If a retailer offering a title for less than the above stated prices is a daily reporter to Luminate Data, sales will be removed for charting purposes solely for the dates in which the title was priced less than the minimum.
- If a retailer offering a title for less than the above stated prices is a weekly reporter to Luminate Data, all units for that title sold by the retailer in the week will be removed for charting purposes unless accurate transaction data for that title on the sale date(s) can be provided to Luminate Data for verification.
- Territory is determined based on billing and shipping address.
Regarding Merch/Music Bundles:
- Albums cannot be reported if bundled with merchandise – even if album and merchandise are available a la carte.
- Albums cannot report any sales generated from a bundle.
- Merchandise is essentially anything that is not the album itself, including (but not limited to) clothing, paper goods, accessories, virtual items, concert pre-sale codes, contest entries with No Purchase Necessary entrance options, fan club access, and so forth.
- An album can be promoted as an add-on sale to a merchandise item purchase – not baked-in to merchandise. Customers would make a clear choice to purchase an album on its own, as a separate item, and album purchase must not yield any benefits or discounts to customers.
- Physical format albums sold within a finished goods boxed set/package, that may contain clearly artist/album-branded merchandise items), can continue to count as a sale as normal, following advance approval (minimum four weeks prior to release date).
Need to Register your UPC with Luminate Data (formerly MRC/SoundScan)? You can do so HERE.
Note: You can read more about the Official US Chart Rules HERE.